OHTF scholarship deadline, Jun. 30
Each year, the Ontario Horticultural Trades Foundation awards thousands of dollars
in scholarships to individuals pursuing a career in the green profession.
Applications must be received by June 30. Apply today!
Landscape Ontario Horticultural Trades Association
7856 Fifth Line South, Milton, ON L9T 2X8 1-800-265-5656 www.horttrades.com
Manage your Landscape Ontario communication preferences
A great big thank you to all of the members whom attended OCTE2016 and making it such a success!!
Stay tuned to many new updates to the website this year along with new initiatives that your OCTE representatives work countless hours. Following is a recap of highlights of the accomplishments this past year....
As presenters send in their presentations, you will be able to access them within their corresponding session under OCTE 2016 Conference links.
Give us a few days to get the lens of our cameras cleaned up and you will be able to see a few highlights of this amazing event!!
Live Safe! Work Smart! over the Holidays
This brief guide has been written to help parents discuss workplace health and safety with their teenage children and provides them with tips and resources.
The aim for this guide is to be released three times per year, coinciding with seasonal youth employment:
• December: holiday retail season
• March-April 2016: college and university students starting summer jobs
• May-June 2016: high school students starting summer jobs
The Parent Guide is posted on the MOL and Live Safe! Work Smart! website and will also be promoted through MOL social media (Facebook, Twitter).
OCTE Best Practices Contest
$100 Prize could be yours!
With a monthly prize winner posted in the OCTE newsletter. Select from a choice of $100 gift cards from Lowes, Home Depot, Chapters, Canadian Tire, Tim Hortons, or Starbucks.
It’s easy. You’re already building and sharing resources, here’s your chance to receive a thank you from OCTE that you can spend any way you like.
Create something new or share something you already use in the classroom or shop to win big!
• Share a best practices project from your classroom or shop
• Include plan, assessment or evaluation tool , exemplars and any other details that might be needed. Send your best practice unit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Things to consider
• Task should reflect the philosophy of technological education students learn best by doing
• Safety concerns are considered and addressed
• Task encourages problem solving and alternative solutions
• Task reflects the curriculum guidelinesImportant Contest Dates
• Contest is now open!!
• Entries close monthly on the 15th
• Judging will be by month’s end
• Contest winners will be notified by email and able to choose from a selection of $100 gift cards
• Winning work will be published in the OCTE newsletter and accessible on the OCTE website.
We need to love our trades again.
BY MIKE HOLMES, REGINA LEADER POST, MAY 31, 2015
All parents should know about Skills Canada. Skills Canada has just wrapped up a national competition where top students from across the country compete in their trade for gold and a spot on Team Canada to compete at World Skills, the Olympics of skilled trades.
Skills Canada is important to me because it’s changing the way we think about the trades, and that will have a direct impact on our lives and our economy. Who builds the world? Trades.…….more
If you are looking for documents to assist you with safety, look no further!! The new and updated safeDOCS